Skip to main page content (AccessKey S)
Haddingtonshire, also sometimes known as the County of Haddington, was one of the 34 traditional counties into which Scotland was divided for administrative purposes. It lay on the south side of the Firth of Forth to the east of Edinburgh.
The main settlements in Haddingtonshire were Haddington, Dunbar, North Berwick, East Linton, Tranent, Prestonpans and Aberlady. The county town was Haddington. Haddingtonshire was bordered by the traditional counties of the County of Edinburgh and Berwickshire.
A tidying up of the map of Scotland's counties which reduced their number to 33 in 1890 had no effect on Haddingtonshire. It was, however, affected by a more minor reorganisation of local government which applied to this part of Scotland in 1921. The result was that Haddingtonshire formally changed its name to East Lothian and we continue the story of the development of local government in the area on our East Lothian page.